Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Un-indentured Apprentice

I applied for zero jobs today.

Did I mention I don't have a full time job? I'm living on tip to tip working two nights a week at a club because I quit the job I had because I hated it so much. I used to cry knowing that I had to spend 8-11 hours there... with people who didn't like me and vice versa, doing work that I didn't find meaningful and didn't pay well. My happiness is more than that crappy py check and I'd done that to myself before working at Pravda (a great bar) in Toronto and promised myself that I would never do it again.

So I kept my part time job at the amazing Marquee Lounge in Edmonton and enjoyed the Alberta summer, drinking beer and wishing I had a bike to ride around.

And for the last 2 months spend 4 days a week online applying for any job where I think there would be growth potential, hitting the street every now and then with resumes and trying to network with clients and their associates.

I probably should've started volunteering the second that I quit my last job... to build a new network.
I probably should drop more resumes in person.
I probably shouldn't have quit my last job.
I probably shouldn't be discouraged by rejection emails after interviews stating various reasons for the direction they chose.
I probably should narrow my search and really focus on one field.

But I'm really smart. And reliable. And a quick learner. And physically strong. I have my resume on every job bank you can think of. I have all of my tickets to work in the field... and it's high season so I know people are needed (I apply to the ads!) And I have a degree which proves what these days... and a list of amazing references.

It is October 15 and I'm quite certain I've applied for over 70 jobs so far this month. I heard back from one job saying that 'an email with details would follow tomorrow' (nothing... I sent a follow up and check my mail... it's been 4 days) and wake up to auto emails everyday saying that I didn't meet the minimum qualifications (really... it's admin work.. I can learn codes, type letters, book meetings and answer phones... I have been an exec assistant before!!!) but to 'please continue to our careers page'.

My mom asked me again today when I'm going to move home.
My 3 year old light-of-my-life nephew didn't feel like skyping yesterday... he was building a fort.

I didn't apply for any jobs today. I just sent email after email to myself reminding me of places to apply to tomorrow.
I just wasn't up for the rejection you know?

Wednesday. Hump day. Start fresh. Migraine free. Hot off the press resumes and a full tank of gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment