Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Karma

A few weeks ago, I was talking with a girl at work about how so many of the staff are mean and she was saying she can't believe how mean some of them are to me. She decided that I must be mean somewhere else in my life and it's Karma coming back.
That is horrible.
I tried explaining otherwise and she seemed unsure so I gave her my dads theory on Karma- that what goes around comes around, maybe not to you, but maybe to your kids, or your kids kids kids, or someone else you care about. I argued that if I do have bad Karma, maybe it isn't mine. That worked. But in my head I thought- what if someone thinks, for example, I'm a good person, but really I'm not- are they going to get my bad karma one day? *sigh

And tonight again, I was thinking about Karma as I pulled into my buildings parking garage. 11 cars were broken into via smashed back windshields (the most expensive to fix). I got home shortly after the breakins happened, didn't notice a thing and carried on to my apartment. If I had bad Karma, wouldn't I have been home? Or wouldn't I have ran into the perp? Further, does this theory of Karma extend to crime?
Are all those 11 car owners deserving of a break in? The one gentleman who's car was smashed is a God fearing man- shouldn't his frequent visits to confession and gentle demeanor keep only a happy bubble of Karma around him?
My evil car port neighbour who accused me of hitting is car (ridiculous) didn't have his car broken into- if I was going to pick who's cars got smashed, I would pick him. But then again, maybe when he accused me he was just having a bad day and all the days I've seen him since where he ignores me and closes the elevator were just bad moments- maybe he's a good man with generally well intentions. How much good is in his Karma bubble?
And if one has bad karma, does that mean they are a bad person and deserve all the shit they get? The bad runs of luck? The money issues or poor family or no friends, no job, no skills ect? If one has bad karma, doesn't that mean they are ones potentially dolling out bad karma to others? What if they give it to the wrong person?
If karma is real, then does it decide fate? Because I think I'm a good person, I have my flaws and weak moments and I don't like letting people in front of my when I drive, but does that mean I'm destined to have a future filled with mean people and dreams that are always just out of reach?
If Karma was real, then bad people would've never succeed right? Because their Karma would stop them- right? And good people, who work hard and learn from their mistakes and laugh at their bad luck and keep going- those people should succeed by way of  good karma right?
Are karma and fate interchangeable? If so, one could argue that we are not in control of our own destiny, being that there is no one to define 'good' vs 'bad' karma- how would we ever know which we had/were?
If bad karma comes to good people, or bad karma comes to people who give out good karma, then wouldn't it be safer for good people to stay at home and wait it out until it's their turn to get some good karma? Wouldn't that be safer, potentially more fun and likely more rewarding?

I am now confused. About Karma.

I'm still going to role with my idea that good intentions, action, hard work, determination and sometimes a little bit of luck are what make up our future and our present. Karma seems a little too dodgey to rely on- or even think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment