Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Canadian

I think our Canadians' reputation as friendly precedes us.... because we're not that friendly. At least not where I've lived.
Everyone is so worried about what everyone else thinks or are so wrapped up in what they themselves are doing that we forget to be nice; it's only when an accent or boob pops out that people lend a smile or even a hand.

Although... I find men open doors and let me go first when I'm looking 'fresh' and woman will answer your questions and give you a compliment if you keep a smile on your face.

It's exhausting however, to constantly smile because by the time it's returned the person is either shocked that you were doing it and doesn't smile back is some creepy jackass that also grabs your arm and asks for your number.

I'm nice ok, not desperate.

And this whole nice thing is not working for me- because I keep getting taken advantage of; at my job, by boys and men and even some friends.

I went to Ikea today and bought a dresser and desk as well as 2 lamps, a mirror ect because I decided I would move into my room. I wander through Ikea with my cart, picking things up, putting things down, wandering around the same displays over and over.
And when I got to the warehouse I realized I needed my shopping cart as well as the warehouse cart to get all of my big stuff out of there.
Luckily a highschool boy (thanks Nicholas!) with a million things to do assisted me with the heavy boxes and pushed my cart to the check out. But then I was alone. With 2 carts, one loaded with a dresser and desk packed up into three boxes.
I wheeled those carts by bending over and pulling them by their ends; as if Ikea carts aren't wonky enough! People just sat in the displays and watched me.
When I finally got outside I resolved to just leave my stuff at the loading docks and run for my car and hope that no one would steal my stuff.
Some kid in an Ikea tee walked by and I snagged him to watch my stuff while I got my car. He was on his break but did it anyway.
While I was dragging my boxes into the back  of binty, this Afircan dude, who I'd bumped into a million times in the store comes over and says, "Hi". Lame. Short story shorter, he wanted my number, didn't care that I had a make believe boyfriend (lame boyfriend... umm, why wasn't HE helping me with these boxes?!) and was happy to just be friends. The vodka on his breath made me wary that I would blow over if I got pulled over... African guy did not help me with my boxes.

Okay, so maybe some Canadians are friendly; boys under 17. And me.


unrelated:

Jana Abrams wants to sign me. Yay! Gonna stalk a few more people tomorrow and see what they have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment