Monday, January 17, 2011

Some days are like the days before and likely the days after.

I went and saw the Kings Speech today. I was sent home from work about 4 hours earlier than anticipated and made no money, had not a single customer.
So I left work and could've gotten groceries, but instead headed to the Queensway Theatre.

The movie was so good. I missed the previews, which is always shitty because I love previews, but I FINALLY saw it. Colin Firth is amazing. What a crazy story to make a movie about- I google the King when I got home, pretty much everything I needed to know about him was revealed in the movie anyway- but someone could've made up a whole story about King George VI courting his wife, or followed him in war and created a whole war movie and we'd only ever discover he'd become King by those little picture stories they tell as the credits roll. But it was his speech, and his Speech that they made this movie about. I just sat and smiled in the theatre after (not for too ling of course, I didn't want people to excuse them selves past me while unintentionally giving me a pity look) because the movie and the story was so damn good and Colin Firth and Jeffery Rush and Helena Carter were SO great together and so talented. I cried a bit too, it was great.
Go and see that movie and then try to be King George the VI for 5 minutes and don't even try the accent; Colin Firth is amazing.

So I learned  a wee bit of History today!

Slightly unrelated:

Speaking of learning, when I was on break at work, I watched a bit of a show on Muhammad Ali and his fight against Larry Holmes on TSN. Muhammad Ali came out of retirement for it. and 8 million dollars. But that's all I saw. I thought Ali went down a hero... and the show was saying that this fight never should've happened. So I'm going to have to do some research.
My research indicates that Ali did train to go back in the ring, but not enough. He also had some speech and physical issues that were noted by doctors, including a hole in his brain! But he was given a clean bill of health anyway, which allowed him to fight. Apparently this last fight is what caused the onset of Parkinson's, but there's no way to prove that. Apparently the doctors gave Ali a clean bill of health for the money.
Before retiring, Ali had beat Holmes once for a belt, but Holmes had beat him before that...
Ali got his ass beat by Holmes in this fight; 10 rounds all unanimously won. The fight was only stopped by Ali's trainer because he would not Ali to go back out for an 11th round and Ali refused to fall.
The doctors should've done right by their oath; I only saw snippets on TV but they were all sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment