Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I am ACTOR (said with whatever accent you choose)

Did you know that if you soak your barely ripened grocery store/winter bought strawberries in warm water for a few minutes then strain them and sprinkle them with sugar, they almost taste like strawberries you just picked out of a hot summer field?
Of course if you over do it they will turn to mush.

I'm just gripping onto summer, which I feel like I miss every year.

I was talking with roomie about our news years eve plans. Mine our epic: Work. Probably at both jobs. Which got me to thinking about how I've sort-of sat out every calendar event in the last few years because I was broke or because I was working or 'everyone else' was busy or because I'm single (but ready to mingle!! baaahaha!)... like my birthday and new years and your birthday and births and illnesses and moving and your buck and doe and valentines day and christmas and long weekends and cottage trips and vacations and shows and I could go on. But it's depressing.

And it's depressing to me because....
...

...

...

I actually just sat here thinking about why that's depressing and I was going to complain about how I can't meet a guy that I'm interested in AND who's interested back AND is a good guy but the reality is that I'm not worried about finding mr. right or even mr. right-now because I know I will someday and while it would be nice to have a valentines day date or a birthday party thrown for me by my man, I don't care because I can do it myself. And so I couldn't find anything depressing about that list- it is however a wee bit funny that I dwell on the past so much especially when I'm so focused on the present and the future.

I really need to not listen to taylor swift and write in my blog! sheesh!

Unrelated:

Today was my last acting class at the proactors lab for a while. new sessions don't start until mid January and I'm not sure that I will be able to afford one then, so I'm not going to pay for it now... just in case.
Anyway, today we were working on Monologues and you do it, it gets filmed, you get feedback, you do it again, you get stopped and educated, you do it again ect until your time is up (which is only like 20 minutes TOPS so you have to know your stuff). SO I did mine and the teacher (marvin Hinz -love him) comes over and says
"do it again but in a deeper lover-lover, but still from the same place"
which made perfect sense to me but I had no idea how to do it. So Marvin said,
"okay... throw this line as though you were at a club and you wanted someone to dance with you, how would you ask?"
and I thought about it and shot through my life in video-montage and all the dancing i've done, all the way back to grade 7 and I can't remember ever asking a guy to dance with me (for a few reasons... like my parents told me if a guy is interested in dancing with you he'll ask and I believe that and because I'm so incredibly awkward that me asking anyone to dance would likely mean I like them and thus the request would come out in a mumbly mess.. so I avoid it ) so I said, "Well, if I wanted to dance with someone I wouldn't have to ask" and everyone died laughing.
We figured it out and I eventually remembered asking boyfriends to dance by taking their hand and guiding them to the dance floor (ok... that maybe happened like 2 times but whatever) and I used that premise and it worked.
Marvin's always helping me learn to be an better actor... it's great!
But for a second there, even though what I said was perhaps totally arrogant, I felt understood.
In an acting class and in acting, you have to be perfectly ok with who you are. Marvin is always telling us where we fall or where we can play- based on how we can stretch our talent and based on how we look. So my comment was taken just for what it was; that I don't recall ever asking anyone to dance and nothing more- which is rare. And we all know if we're pretty or not, old or not, fat or not, if we're always going to play cops or strippers or moms or drug abusers or if we're capable of playing that lead girl who throws herself out there for love in ways you'd never do in real life and wins; and in that class, I am capable of playing that girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment