Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Christmas List

I used to look at the Wishbook every year when I was a kid and flag down all of the things I liked and some of the things I was going to buy for someone else (aka uumm mom, can I have some money?). As I got older, I did the same thing. But I sort-of had my own money and realized that buying from the Wishbook took planning and forethought- Who buys Christmas gifts in November? Or even the first week of December?
I did that one year- had all my shopping done by Dec 1st. It was the year I was off in between highschool and University. I spent a fortune that year because December rolled in with all it's discounts and red flags and I couldn't stop buying. By Boxing day, when I was prepared to shop for myself, I was broke. It seemed tragic then but it's humorous now! It's even more amusing now actually, because I've always been broke at Christmas and that feeling of knowing you have no money in your bank, or if 'i buy that gift I'll have no money left' always weighs heavy and has a way of ruining the holiday.
Geez, when did giving become so stressful? But, I've been a good girl this year and saved my pennies so even if my bank should empty, there are some Christmas coins under the mattress (that is not a precise location.. so don't go snooping)

My family has always been lucky- we always manage but Christmas can be tough. I think because you have to more than manage to meet those giving expectations. It's funny because nobody ever expects a gift from anyone else- it's we ourselves that create that expectation of giving and the stress of all the giving costs.
I know that when I was broke at Christmas I would always think, gee if I hadn't bought that jacket or boots or gone on that trip last july or even tried to save all year for Christmas, maybe i would have some dough; like anyone I know would ever look back over the holidays and think "Well.. everyone gave me a present this year EXCEPT Bobbi- I'll be striking her off my friend list"

My point is, don't worry about it! I would rather spend the day with a broke friend or loved one going door to door collecting canned food or drinking and baking cookies (I hate baking) than feel like someone broke the bank to put a smile on my face.
Some of my best holiday memories are fighting with my siblings over the tv-guide carol book that came with the newspaper or laughing and cooking a great meal with friends, going tobogganing and sitting around watching  that Christmas biography about Roudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (I believe that's the name of the movie..)

But in case you or someone you know is in the giving mood and has the resources to strike a few items off my Christmas Wishlist, I'll fill you in on what would make my holiday perfect

-Oprah decides not to retire until she interview's me
-The Real Sports Bar is SO busy over the next few months and I make great tips every shift
-The Polar Ice Caps recover and look the way they did 100 years ago (that means the ozone patches up!)
-Black Sweater
-OSAP decides to knock any amount of money off of any current loan holders account
-My parents win the lottery
-I get Good Health Cards to pass out to those I love (at least 15 please!)
-Motivation (mostly for the gym or...)
-Treadmill
-A lead role in feature film shortly after the tv show I star in airs (I'm serious) (I'm will to wait for this gift until about May 2011?)
-A longer and wetter wet season in Africa annnnd cheaper pharmaceuticals in developing countries
-R&R jeans
-Shortbread cookies
-and in case you can wield miracles (Santa?), maybe have my parents in the same room and the tension not be so think it's the holiday meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment